Monday, April 6, 2015

Conference and a New Apartment


A toast to our new apartment

Happy Conference everyone!

Wow. I'm not sure what to think of this General Conference. It was so good, but at the same time it was very sad. I'm sure everyone heard when those people yelled out during the sustaining. I have to give those individuals credit for having the guts to openly be apostate in front of thousands of faithful Latter-day Saints in the conference, millions across the world, to a prophet and apostles of Christ, and to God Himself. That aside, it's very sad it happened. When I heard them yelling during the sustaining, all I could think was: "You.... Did you seriously just sass President Uchtdorf? Unacceptable!!" Also something that really disturbed us missionaries here in the Napa Zone was how President Monson wasn't able to close out Conference. It pains me to think of his deteriorating health. President Monson has been an outstanding prophet. I think of the scripture 2 Timothy 4:6-8 when I think of the service he has provided for the Lord's church: "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. 8. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing." I'm grateful for his dedicated service and the love he has for the church. Good job, President Monson! Ya did good.

So I moved to my new apartment! My address is 2942 Soscol Ave #71, Napa, CA 94558. It's soooo nice! There are some things that I liked more in the other apartment, but for the most part this one is so much nicer. I really love the washer and dryer. That truly is a missionary's best friend. I'll send some pictures of the apartment when we clean it up a little. I forgot how much fun it is to be in a four man apartment!

Elder Eccles and I had a pretty good week. We got another call from our investigator Paul. He is the most prepared investigator I have ever encountered. He is truly amazing. He told us again how badly he wants to be baptized and how he wants to go on a mission like us, and he's 23, so that's very possible. He was transferred to the hospital in Vallejo so we couldn't go see him but we had some of the missionaries there go see him. He has a baptismal date now set for May. Unfortunately, I probably won't be in Napa for it, but hopefully I'll be close enough to Napa so I can return for the baptism. We are going to meet with him as much as we can to prepare him for that date! Also I went on exchanges with my District Leader, Elder Evans. I've never had a district leader that was younger than me before and he's quite new to the mission. I felt like I was training him during the exchange.

Elder Holland's talk was SO powerful. I love his talks so much, especially around Easter time. He conveys his message so fluidly and firmly. This life is NOT about taking a leap of faith just to find we have neither the strength nor the grip to pull ourselves up to safety. How incredibly pointless and void our lives would be if this were the case. I wish to add my testimony to that of Elder Holland, along with all the inspired speakers that bore testimony of Christ. I know He lives and that He is the messiah and redeemer of the world. I know that He conquered death on an Easter morning many years ago, and because of that sacred event, we too will all do the same one day. Because of Him, death hath no sting and the grave no victory. I'm so grateful for having a brother who is ready to reach out and grab us when we start to fall and for all he endured in order to make that possible for us.

Love, Elder Hayden Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment