Monday, December 16, 2013

Missionary Life at the Beach



Hi everyone!

Yep, I'm at the beach! It's really strange waking up to the sound of a fog horn and seals barking. So it turns out I'm really out of shape. We go jogging every morning to the pier and by the time I get to the end of it, I've already died a little bit inside. But then we get back to our room and we lift weights, which I'm a little better at. My companion, Elder Whittingslow, and roommates are pretty awesome. And Sister Seely told me you talked to her, Mom, so I already know that you're a creepy cyber stalker... I've known for a while now...

Crescent City is awesome! For the most part, people are really friendly and are pretty open to listening to our message. There are a lot of meth heads, smokers and whatnot, so the Word of Wisdom is a pretty popular lesson to teach. Yeah, but it's great here! The first day I was here we taught three lessons. In the first one, we talked to a man named Brother Douglas and we discussed the plan of salvation. He had some really good questions about the spirit world and temple work. He and his 11-year-old daughter want to get baptized, but he just had shoulder surgery so he's putting it off for a while. (We're going to talk to the both of them again tonight.) Then after we left Brother Douglas, we contacted someone by the shore. He wanted to know which was more important, works or grace. We said both, and he said it sounded like the true gospel to him. It was awesome! That night we had a lesson with a guy named Emilio. We talked to him about faith and I invited him to be baptized. He said no, like he's done so many times already, but it was still awesome. It was so much easier than I thought it would be.

I'm in a bike area, so I had to buy a bike here, but I found one that was dirt cheap. It was like $60 and it was pretty much brand new. It was used once so they knocked 35% off. The blessing are pouring in already! It's been a month since I've driven a car and I feel like when I finally get behind the wheel of one, I'll just sit there clueless, wondering how I make it move. But the weather is so nice here I don't even mind being on a bike.

So I'm learning some awesome missionary vocab. Honey Badger: someone who is just awesome beyond words. B-Dog: Beautiful daughter of god. Celestial parking: pull through parking space. And when DAN (daily afternoon nap) comes by to visit, it's a pretty exciting thing. He hasn't come by since I've been here, but I'm hoping he'll show up.

Well, I'm doing very well. I'm out of time, so this email is going to have to be shorter than normal but I'll do better next week. Tell everyone I didn't email this week I'm sorry and I'll get them next week! I was experiencing some technical difficulties and lost most of my email time, but I'll leave you all with this:

Inline image 1


I have more pictures that I'll send eventually... but I figured this one took priority. How does everyone like our thrift shop vests!?!? (My companion is the one in front....being a cat....)

Well, I love you all! Again, I'll post more pictures and try to write everyone I missed next week.

Cordially and with highest regards,

Elder Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment