Monday, June 9, 2014

Stake Conference and Being Bold

Hey everyone!


Stake Conference was this week, and needless to say, it was spectacular! Elder Bowen from the Quorum of the Seventy came and spoke at conference, that was pretty cool! If I remember correctly he speaks in the Mormon Message "Reclaimed." Well he gave an Awesome talk on missionary work. He actually made it more of a discussion, so he asked questions for the congregation to answer and he also answered questions. Our investigator, E*****, was able to make it there too! She has been hearing everything she needs to hear lately. It's been working out perfectly! We'll just be sitting in Gospel Principles class or in Sacrament meeting and someone will say something that addresses one of her concerns perfectly. Well I really enjoyed Stake Conference. We had some awesome speakers. It was so much better than my first Stake Conference when I got called up on the spot to teach the first lesson in front of EVERYONE! That was a less than desirable situation. 

Well I have some unfortunate news about E**** - she doesn't want to get baptized till September! That really bums me out!! I won't even be in Fairfield for that long! The reason she wants to hold off for that long is because she wants her boyfriend, Brother A******, to baptize her. Which is great, that's exactly what I want to happen, but as of right now he's not ready to do so. It's going to take him a couple of months before he can. So I'm not going to be able to be at the baptism! This keeps happening to me. I had 3 baptisms coming up in Crescent City, one of them was Tony Douglas who was my very first lesson on my mission. So I would have really liked to have been there for that! I mean it's not really about me.....what's important is that they do get baptized, but I wish I could stick around long enough to actually be there for them! Though the good news is that we're going to start teaching our investigator, D*** R*****, again. We haven't been able to teach her in a long time since she injured her back, and she wasn't in any shape to sit down for a lesson. Now that she's feeling better we are going to start teaching her again.

So working with Elder Gasu is going really well. Really the only problem is that he sleeps a lot, and doesn't always want to work. It can be hard to stay motivated to work when I have to drag someone with me, but that's really the only problem in the companionship. He is really good at contacting, and he makes it a lot of fun. He is a lot more bold than Elder Kimball is. We have a goal for this transfer to invite more people to be baptized in contacts. We don't really have a number, I guess it's just overall to extend more invites. We have a plan to go up to a group of people and say "Are y'all talking about baptism over here?! You all want to be baptized don't you? We can help you with that." We'll see what happens there! We are counseled that we need to be a lot more bold, and it doesn't get more bold than that!

Well, it was a slow week, so not a lot happened. We have a half-mission conference coming up this week, with Elder Falabella coming to speak. We each have to have a 3-5 min talk prepared about Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah, just in case we are randomly called on to speak. This will also give me an opportunity to see a lot of people I know that I haven't seen in a while, so I'm pretty excited!

Well I love you all! I'm glad to hear that things are going well back home. 

Love, Elder Hayden Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment