Monday, July 7, 2014

Saying Goodbye and a Flash Mob

The Wright Family in the Cordelia Ward, Fairfield, CA.


So I had a crazy week, a lot has been happening lately, especially on the 4th of July. First off, we had sooo much food, it was crazy how much we were fed. We went to a block party at our Bishop's house for breakfast, and he pretty much had the whole neighborhood there so it was a good opportunity to talk to some of his neighbors. Bishop Clawson is the best; everyone loves him. He brings the fun to any conversation, and his laugh is so infectious. He will think something is so funny while no one else does, but everyone will be laughing just because he is cracking up. Of course all his neighbors adore him and we had some really good contacts from it. After we left the Bishop's house we went to a barbecue in Suisun. We met the guy who invited us at the community service project when we cleaned up Dana Drive. He wanted all the missionaries in our zone to come to it because he was really impressed with all of us when we helped clean up my street, Dana Drive. It just goes to show that we are always being watched by those around us, and we are setting an example to them, whether it's a good one or not. The barbecue was across the street from this festival-like thing. I'm not really sure the correct words for it, but it had stands set up and it had some rides and games. Something I thought was especially funny was one of the things you could do there was get into this big, plastic bubble, like a hamster ball, and run around in a pool. Watching people struggle to stand up in that ball, let alone run around in it, was good for a couple of laughs. There were so many people there and we had multiple opportunities to talk to people.

By far the best thing that's happened this week was the Flashmob my whole zone was in! We went and did that after we left the festival/barbecue in Suisun. For those of you who don't know, a Flashmob is a group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual and seemingly pointless act for a brief time, then quickly disperse, often for the purposes of entertainment, satire, and artistic expression... at least that's what Wikipedia says. Well we decided during zone meeting to do a flashmob in the middle of the mall on the 4th of July, and we also invited a lot of people to be there on Facebook. So at 1:50, we all rendezvoused at our predetermined stores and waited till exactly 2:00. Then the trio of Sisters in our zone went and stood on the staircase and started singing the Star Spangled Banner. Then the rest of the zone quickly left their hiding places and started singing along all while my companion, Elder Gasu, walked to the middle waving the American flag. It really took people by surprise, and frankly, might have scared some of them. But after the initial shock, people caught the drift and removed their hats, placed their hands on their hearts and sang along! Then we quickly started to sing "God Bless America" to wrap up our flashmob. The people there thought it was great, we received many comments from people about how much they appreciated us doing that, and it was a great way for us to talk to people. It was actually put on Youtube if you want to watch it. It's under "LDS missionary flashmob" or something to that effect. You could Probably throw in 4th of July to narrow it down even more. I know I'm briefly in one of the videos depending on which one you watch, so have fun playing Where's Waldo!

Well it's official - I am being transferred. Goodbye Cordelia and hello Navato! I'm sad to be leaving all the wonderful friends I've made while staying here, but I'm happy and excited to be going somewhere new. I am going to be in the Navato 1st ward, and I'm going to be companions with Elder Meiners, who is a missionary I shared an apartment with in Crescent City so I already know him pretty well. He is now District Leader so that will be interesting. I don't know my address yet, but I'll get that to you all next week. I'm really pumped that the Golden Gate bridge is in my zone, so I'm definitely going to get some pictures there ASAP. I hear a lot of good things about Navato so I'm really excited about this change. I'm just trying not to leave my heart in Fairfield at this point.

Well sorry it took a while to email today. I've had been packing with Elder Mallory, a missionary I live near, for a while then we got an unexpected call asking to go give a blessing to a dying man in the hospital. It's been a pretty crazy day. But I love you guys back home and I'm keeping you in my prayers. I'll get my new address to you soon.

Love, Elder Hayden Elis

No comments:

Post a Comment